Purpose of role
Every Parent & Child (EPC) is a registered charity working for the benefit of children, young people and families in the London Borough of Enfield and surrounding areas.
EPC has been awarded three-year funding from BBC Children in Need to provide the My Time Counselling Service.
The Service will support children and young people (5–18 years old), who may or may not have special educational needs and are at risk of mental health issues, such as low self-esteem and confidence levels, anxiety, difficulties verbalising and regulating their emotions. The Service will also support the parent/carer of the referred child/young person with wellbeing through provision of peer support and training.
- The post is open to qualified child/adolescent counsellors or those who are currently training to become qualified child/adolescent counsellors, or those suitably qualified for the role
- To have had at least 12 hours of personal therapy before starting placement and then to have ongoing personal therapy throughout their placement (in line with their training course requirements)
- To obtain a clear enhanced DBS check. EPC will reimburse DBS fees after the volunteer counsellor has worked with us for 6 months.
- The volunteer counsellor should be prepared to work with children in a school setting in Enfield, Haringey or Waltham Forest or be experienced in providing online sessions.
What will the role of a Trainee Counsellor involve?
- To receive referrals from the service Manager and to provide counselling for children/young people once a week all year through.
- The work will take place in schools during school time, and at Community House, Fore Street, Edmonton outside of school hours.
- To be available for up to seven hours per week but no less than 1.5 hours.
- To be reliable in both attendance and punctuality.
- To behave in an ethical and professional manner in all dealings with clients, with the counselling supervisor and with the counselling placement organisation.
- To adhere to the Ethical Framework of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) or other professional counselling bodies.
- To ensure that all your counselling is subject to clinical supervision, and to attend monthly group supervision provided by EPC.
- To seek and obtain written consent from a client about whom a case study report is to be written.
- To provide a half termly log of client hours and client notes for EPC files.
- To keep personal notes on clients and sessions confidential and secure in accordance to EPC policies and GDPR.
- To seek membership of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy or other appropriate professional organisation.
- To respond constructively to guidance.
What will you get in return?
- Free monthly clinical group supervision
- Additional training that supports your development for example, FGM, Autism, and Mental Health First Aid.
- Clients to counsel for up to 3 terms
- An induction into the organisation that meets not only Health and Safety requirements, but is also sufficient to allow the counselling trainee to function effectively in their role.
- Continuous support from the My Time Counselling Service Manager.
- Job references after six months of volunteering with us.
- A setting that is safe and fit for purpose.
What will we expect from you?
- Commit to volunteering with us for at least 12 months.
- Perform your volunteering role to the best of your ability.
- Maintain the confidential information of the organization and of its users.
- Read and comply to EPC’s policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Attend any training relevant to your duties.
- Act in a professional way whenever you represent EPC.
- Raise any concerns at the earliest opportunity.
- Give us as much notice as possible should you be unable to attend or carry out your volunteer role with us anymore.
EPC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children/young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All successful candidates for this role will be subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check. EPC will reimburse DBS fees after volunteering with us for 6 months.
Who should you contact?
If you require further information regarding the role please contact Pauline Walker (working hours Monday to Friday) at Pauline.Walker@epandc.org.uk or by calling 07944 855297.